Instructor Web Page Account Request
Following these conventions will make for easier maintenance
and assure that your pages will work well on any browser which follows the rules.
If we decide to change the web server hardware or address, your job will be much
simpler if you follow these guidelines:
Web page Template
- All web pages MUST be ADA Section 508
accessible and W3C compliant. There is a template page available for you to use.
Email the College Webmaster at:
for a copy of the template and for any necessary help.
- All images on your web page must
include the height, width and alt
<img src="/mydir/images/image.gif" height="50" width="75"
alt="Image Title" />
- Use lower case ONLY for all file names. Example: home.html,
- Use hyphens or underscores, not spaces, to separate words:
new-stuff.html, or new_stuff.html, not new stuff.html
- Use the appropriate file extentions:
.html (not .htm, although legal, avoid .htm) for html pages
.gif, .jpg or .jpeg for graphics
- The first page in any folder: must be called
index.html then that page can be addressed by the name of the
folder only. For example, the WVC home page is addressed only as:
http://www.westvalley.edu/ (you don't need to use the index.html).
File Paths (addressing)
- Use relative paths from the
site root "/"
for links to items on your site. If you move or rename your files,
you won't have to REDO your links.
- Example: If your web page is located in the www.westvalley.edu/business/ folder;
you would use /business/pagename.html to link to that page in the folder.
Remember, for the default page in the directory, use www.westvalley.edu/business/ctr/, omit the index.html.
To link to the www.westvalley.edu/tc/index.html page, use
from your page.
- Rather than link to the Tech Center home page with the browser URL:
<a href="http://www.westvalley.edu/tc/index.html">Tech Center</a>
- Use the relative path:
<a href="/tc/">Tech Center</a> for the index.html page
<a href="/tc/filename.html">Other Page</a>
- Remember to use
for the root diretory and then add the path
below to the directory of you are using.
- Each page must have a return link to the WVC homepage if you are not using the template.
Questions? Need help? Email