DESP: Computer Lab and Alternate Media
The DESP Computer Lab can provide you with an evaluation and training in the use of computer technology. The Lab offers specialized software as well as adaptive technology. In addition to scheduled classes, the Lab has open hours. The following highlight the Lab’s offerings:
- Adapted Computer Access Evaluations for ability to access screen, keyboard or programs and ability to benefit from services.
- Text Reader: turns text into high quality speech for learning disabled and visually impaired students.
- Screen enlargers: provide a means for low vision students to see what is displayed on the monitor.
- Alternate Media: provide qualified students with access to course materials in an alternate format including etext.
- Training: shows student how to use text-to-speech software, including Kurzweil.
Make an appointment at the front desk if you want to be assessed for adapted computer or alternate media needs.
Details About Available Technology:
- Kurzweil - Available in the library and some labs, DESP Computer Lab, and PC version for DESP student home use.
- Read and Write Gold - Available to all WVC students, faculty, and staff for home PC/Mac and mobile device usage.
- Screen magnification - Available in the library and some labs, DESP Computer Lab
- Available in the library, tutorial center and DESP
- Screenreading software - Available in the library and some labs and DESP
- NVDA (Nonvisual Desktop Access) - Free screenreader for the PC.
- VoiceOver - Builtin screenreader on Mac OS devices.
- Voice Recognition PC Version - Available in library and some labs, DESP Computer Lab
- Dragon Dictate is an app. that can be purchased by anyone and downloaded to mobile devices.