International Students: Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Application Deadlines for International Students?

Application Deadlines are on the Information page.

Admissions documents are issued one month following the application deadline. Please check with the International Student Office to see if there is a late filing period beyond the posted deadline dates (May 1 for Fall and November 1 for Spring).

How do I know that I am an International student and need a special packet?

  • Students or potential students, who need an admissions document to apply for F-1 visa status.
  • Students on F-1 visas who wish to transfer to West Valley College or potential students on visitor visa’s (B-1/B-2 or visa waiver) wanting to apply to F-1 visa status - please note that B-1/B-2 may NOT attend until change of status is approved from DHS.
  • Potential students who are on H-4, E-2, L-2 or F-2 turning 21 years of age are required to change to F-1 visa to continue their schooling in the United States.
  • Potential students applying from outside the United States who are not on H, E, or L visas.
    Students who are here on resident alien “green cards” are not considered International Students for application purposes and should apply directly to the college, NOT the International Student Program.
  • If you have a question about your residency or status, please call the International Student Counselor/PDSO or admissions,
    • Sara Patterson at (408) 741-2694
    • Terry Eppley, Program Specialist/DSO at (408) 741-4028

How do I apply to West Valley College as an International Student?

Obtain an International Student Application from West Valley College by:

  • Online: Application Forms
  • Phone: (408) 741-2001
  • Email:
  • Mail: (Please include your name, street address, city, postal code and country of origin)
    West Valley College
  • Attention: International Student Counselor/DSO
    14000 Fruitvale Avenue
    Saratoga, CA 95070-5698

What is required to apply as an International Student?

  • International Student Application, includes West Valley College application and $100 application fee. Please make check payable to West Valley College – must be in U.S. Dollars.
  • TOEFL minimum score of 500 (paper version) or 173 (computer version) or 61 (Internet version) or STEP Eiken Pre-1 level or IELTS of 5.5. Waivers are available for students who have college level English completed or who qualify for English 1A.
  • Financial Statement totaling $21,500+ for one academic school year.
  • If in the United States when applying, you must be in legal “status” to apply or transfer, since West Valley College does NOT accept reinstatement students.
  • Transfer letter (if attending US school) with SEVIS release date sent to PDSO, Sara Patterson.
  • Copy of passport front page
  • Copies of I-94, I-20 and Visa page if currently attending school in the United States. DS-2019 required for J-1 visa applicants.
  • Health statement (included in application includes immunization record).
  • Application fee of $100 US Dollars and official transcripts from schools attended either in or outside the USA.

Who do I contact if I should have a question about the application?

Is there any other information that will help me with my application?

Other Resources for International Students

  • USCIS – United States Customs and Immigration Services (local office): 1887 Monterey Highway, Ste. 219, San Jose,CA 95112 web site:
  • English as a Second Language (ESL) - West Valley College Chair – Anne Marie Wasserbauer (408) 741-2486, email:
  • Web resource for ESL Department  at West Valley College
  • International Partnership Program, West Valley College - Anne Marie Wasserbauer (408) 741-2486, email:
  • Career Programs at West Valley College (check out different major requirements)
  • IERF – Int’l Education Research Foun. – Foreign transcript evaluation towards Associates Degree. Phone: (310) 258-9451 Fax: (310) 342-7086 email:
  • ECE – San Jose State University foreign transcript evaluations for transfer advising. Phone: (414) 289-3400 Fax: (414) 289-3411 email:
  • Homestay: ISP - International Student Placements – Phone: (650) 947-8879 fax: (650) 969-9857 email:

What is the current tuition and fees that International Student is required to pay?

The current tuition and fees as of Fall 2018 semester $258 per unit (12 units minimum required for all F-1 visa holders), not including the $46 enrollment – all fees and tuition are required to be paid by F-1 and students changing their status to F-1 from any other visa status. Basic registration fees include:

  • Health Services fee: $40.00 per year
  • Associated Student Body Card: $8.00 per year
  • Campus Center fee: $30.00 per year
  • Parking Permit: $50.00 per semester

How many units am I required to take as an International student?

12 units constitute full time "status" per Immigration requirements for undergraduate students in a Fall or Spring semester ONLY.

What if I want to take a class at West Valley but I hold an I-20 from another college

This is called “concurrent enrollment” and requires permission from your home school that issued your I-20. You need to fill out a West Valley College application, in the Admissions office (or online) and bring a letter of permission from your International Student Advisor from your college to the Admissions office. You will be  limited to take 6 semester units (or less) at West Valley College.

Your application does not need to be filed through the International Student Office, since this is only for students wishing to attend our college full time.

What do I do with a transcript from an International University?

Students planning to use transcripts towards a degree at West Valley College from a foreign country's university or college will need to have that transcript evaluated by a service.This evaluation counts only towards a West Valley College Associates Degree. If you plan to transfer, contact the transfer college or university to see what requirements are needed for foreign transcript evaluation. West Valley College only accepts evaluation services from the NACES list (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services).

What Campus Services are NOT available to students attending West Valley college on F-1 student visas?

They include the following programs:

  • Financial Aid - Federal or State are only available to residents and citizens (limited scholarships are available to International Students once they attend West Valley College starting their second semester of full time attendance).
  • Work Study programs are only available to residents and citizens
  • EOPS - limited to residents and citizens of the United States only
last published: 12/14/18