Tutorial Services: Should I sign up to be a tutor?
Do you like helping others in a meaningful way? Can you communicate effectively? If your GPA is 2.5 or above and you have a B or better in the subject you wish to tutor, we invite you to apply.
What will you get out of it?
- Help others.
- Earn some extra $$.
- Enhance your knowledge of the subject. (The jury is still out on whether or not tutees learn more than tutors during a tutoring session.)
- Develop and improve your communication skills.
- Learn how to become a more organized student.
- Increase your confidence by facing and defeating challenges.
- Gain experience in a leadership role.
- Earn “brownie points” good for applying to universities or future jobs.
- Work on campus, close to classes (talk about a short commute!).
How do I become a tutor?
- Come in to Tutorial Services.
- Ask to speak to Jeff, and explain that you want to be a tutor. He will interview you.
- Submit faculty recommendation(s) in the subject you want to tutor.
- Interview with Jeff.
- Submit a completed application for employment to the West Valley College Personnel office (requires a tuberculosis test - available from health services)
- Complete your Tutor Training.
We really need good tutors and we’ll help you through the process. Give us a call at 408-741-2038, or use this form to contact us with any questions you have about being a tutor.
AGS Volunteers Needed
Through Tutorial Services, you can volunteer to tutor in your major subjects, or to help out with student outreach. We sometimes schedule outreach presentations in classes to let the new students know about our services. All tutoring must generally take place at Tutorial Services. Fill out this form to register as an Alpha Gamma Sigma (AGS) volunteer tutor.