TIME, PLACE, AND MANNER DISTRICT POLICY
Campus Center Registration to Distribute Literature and/or Gather Petition Signatures.
PUBLIC FREE SPEECH DESIGNATED AREAS FOR WEST VALLEY COLLEGE
Pursuant to the provisions of California Educational Code, Section 76120, all persons using the free speech areas generally available to students and the community shall be allowed to distribute petitions, circulars, leaflets, newspapers, and other printed matter.West Valley College has designated the following areas as free speech areas:
North Walk (with the exception of the creek bridge and adjacent parking spaces)
Campus Center Walk
Campus Quad (in front of EOPS building and behind District Services/President's Office
Areas of the college that are non-public free speech areas are indoor spaces which specifically include campus offices, restrooms, classrooms, warehouses, maintenance yards, and locker rooms. Also, groups must refrain from distributing flyers on parked cars in any of the college parking lots.
GROUPS OR INDIVIDUALS USING THE CAMPUS FOR FREE SPEECH SHALL NOT:
- Force passersby to take material or continuously ask for a signature or other information from any passerby after the passerby refuses to sign or collect any handouts.
- Intimidate, follow, touch, strike, or impede the progress of passersby, except for incidental or accidental contact, or contact initiated by a passerby (Penal Code 407).
- Use any means of amplification that creates a noise diversion that disturbs or tends to disturb the orderly conduct of the campus or classes taking place at that time (Penal Code 407).
- Solicit donations of money, through direct requests for funds, sales of tickets or otherwise, except where he or she is collecting funds for an organization that is registered with the Secretary of State as a non-profit corporation or is an approved Associated Students organization or club (Penal Code 647).
- Prohibit members of the campus community to express their concerns and/or complaints regarding the topic of the literature or petition (Penal Code 602).
GROUPS OR INDIVIDUALS USING THE CAMPUS FOR FREE SPEECH SHALL:
- Ensure that their trash and materials are removed or placed in appropriate receptacles prior to leaving the area where they were speaking or distributing materials. The college reserves the right to charge solicitors for trash and materials left behind and cleaned by custodial staff charged at $54.27 per hour.
- Provide copies to the Campus Center of literature and/or the Solicitation of Petitions and/or the Gathering of Signatures. Materials with any of the following shall not be distributed to the college community:
Materials with smoking and alcoholic beverages
Materials indicating illegal activities
Materials with objectionable photos, illustrations and/or language
Materials promoting parties in private residences.
Materials with any information deemed obscene, inflammatory, or pornographic
- Campus Center
M-TH 7:30-7:30 pm
F 7:30 - 4:00 pm
- Student Activities
M-TH 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
F 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Cafeteria Service
M-TH 7:30- 7:30 pm
F 7:30 - 1:30 pm
Drip Coffee Company
also "Grab & Go" food
M - TH 7:30 - 7:30 pm
F 7:30- 1:30 pm