West Valley College, a Bay Area leader in transfer, degree, and career programs, is searching for a visionary leader to serve as the first Dean to guide our new Fang Pei Che School of Professional Studies. With this new administrative position, the college endeavors to build on the strengths of our committed faculty, outstanding campus facilities, and strong academic reputation, to establish the premier Professional Studies school in Northern California.
The Dean will oversee the Accounting, Administration of Justice, Business, Child Studies, Court Reporting, Computer Information Systems, Engineering, Paralegal, Park Management/Unmanned Aircraft Systems, and Real Estate departments, as well as the new Entrepreneur Center.
Pursuant to our Educational and Facilities Master Plan, the college is committed to aligning career courses and programs with market opportunities. The Dean will build collaborative external and internal relationships to help foster innovative programs, expanded internship opportunities, and cutting-edge curriculum to help our students thrive in the demanding Silicon Valley job market, or transfer to the bachelor’s program of their dreams.
The college benefits from a strong alumni and giving community, that has collaborated at record levels, in order to foster a well-rounded educational experience for our students and provide greater resources for our faculty.
Reporting directly to the Vice President of Instruction, the Dean will be a member of the President’s Cabinet and will be provided the institutional support and resources necessary to achieve academic excellence.
Interested applicants must submit all materials requested online, including:
- A completed West Valley-Mission Community College District online application.
- Transcripts – (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees, having the degree confer/award dates circled. Official transcripts will be required, prior to employment start date, should the position be offered.
- Cover letter and/or reference list, if requested.
- Any requested licenses or certificates, if applicable.
The new dean will represent the Professional Studies Division via:
Advocacy and Leadership
- Provide leadership, support and direction to all members of the program, while inspiring vision, creativity, and integrity necessary to carry out its mission, goals, and objectives.
- Work collaboratively within and outside of the school and college to foster innovative curriculum and create infrastructure necessary for the success of programs.
- Coordinate and facilitate recruitment of faculty and staff.
- Develop processes for collection of data pertaining to workforce development and success rates, employment, labor statistics, and preparation of statistical reports for submission to the State.
Public Relations and Recruiting
- Develop and implement a coordinated outreach, marketing, and public relations process and plan for the Administration of Justice, Business, Child Studies, Computer Information Systems, Court Reporting, Engineering, Paralegal, Park Management, Real Estate, and Unmanned Aircraft Technology departments.
- Maintain positive and effective public relations with the larger community.
- Oversee the process of developing, implementing, and maintaining a significant presence on the web.
- Serve as the contact for the school and provide leadership in developing strong ties with business, industry, and educational institutions.
Fundraising and Resource Procurement
- Develop resources from internal and external sources, including initiating, coordinating, and supporting efforts to secure grants and additional funding for academic programs and facilities.
- Engage in fiscal planning and budgeting, and allocating resources to all departments within the Che School.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in education or a field related to specific area of assignment and five years of increasingly responsible experience in instruction at a college level; including two years of administrative and management responsibility.
- Minimum of three years of successful full-time teaching experience at the post-secondary level in at least one of the areas of this assignment including Administration of Justice, Business, Child Studies, Computer Information Systems, Court Reporting, Engineering, Paralegal, Park Management, Real Estate, and Unmanned Aircraft Technology.
- Demonstrated experience leading an academic division and proven fundraising skills.
- Broad experience in budgeting, branding and promotions, community relations, course scheduling and curriculum, facilities development, personnel including the hiring of full-time and adjunct faculty and staff, and resource development.
- Ability to design, develop, and implement programs and services for students that are relevant to business, industry, and community needs.
- Experience working collaboratively with stakeholders in the campus community in a participatory governance environment.
- Evidence of a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, physically challenged, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Experience with programs that have external regulatory agencies.
|Renee Paquier Forum Video||Tuesday, November 21||3:30 PM – 4:30 PM||Board Room|