All students seeking a degree, including active-duty military, veterans, CalWORKs, EOPS and DESP who started Fall 2014 and beyond, are required to complete a guided self-placement, orientation and develop a comprehensive educational plan in order to receive a priority registration date for enrollment. All community colleges have eliminated placement exams and replaced with Guided Self-Placement for classes starting in Summer or Fall 2019.
Disability and Educational Support Program (DESP) for students: if you have a verifiable disability, you may request accommodations for assessment. Contact the DESP Office at (408) 741-2010 or TTY / DESP (408) 741-2658.
English as a Second Language (ESL) are required to contact the assessment office for testing.
Students Exempt from Assessment
- Anyone who received a score of 3, 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement in English Literature, English Language or Mathematics AB and/ or BC.
- Students who are only taking classes that do not require English or Math as pre-requisites or for personal enrichment.
- Students who have completed an Associate Degree or higher from an accredited American college or university.
- Students who have completed English, Math, and/or Reading at another college or university.
Students who complete the Guided Self-Placement tool will be able to:
- Identify English course recommendation
- Identify Math course recommendation