The Success Center promotes life-long learning by providing tutorial support, engaging in facilitative learning techniques, assisting students with time management and planning, demonstrating effective studying strategies, providing stress management tools, and helping students set academic and personal goals. All currently enrolled West Valley Students are eligible for FREE support by trained, qualified peer tutors in a wide variety of subjects. Most tutoring is offered on a drop-in basis, though some individual and group appointments can be made. The Center also offers study group facilitation, exam review sessions, use of specialized software on in-house computers, and tailored strategies for a diverse range of learners. Opportunities for paid tutor positions are open on an ongoing basis for qualified applicants; check our website or visit the Center for more information.
After accessing and using the Success Center, a student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of campus support services;
- Understand and identify effective time-management and study skills;
- Identify their preferred learning modes and employ them in order to comprehend course materials.
After accessing and using the Success Center, facilitated study groups will be able to:
- Identify and understand effective group study strategies;
- Empower each other to learn difficult course concepts and problem-solve together to achieve course goals;
- Employ and utilize these techniques, whether in the Center or on their own.
After being employed by and working in the Success Center, peer tutors will be able to:
- Understand and follow legal guidelines for peer support (e.g. FERPA) and professionalism in the workplace;
- Demonstrate knowledge of effective study strategies, time management skills, facilitated learning techniques, and the various types of learners we encounter;
- Facilitate group and individual learning of course concepts through differentiated strategies that address a wide variety of learners;
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills, including but not limited to effective verbal and non-verbal communication skills and emotional intelligence.