UMOJA is a counseling, instruction and mentoring program that emphasizes the African American experience and builds community among students. The program focuses on implementing West Valley Colleges’ Strategic Goals. For additional information and/or to join the UMOJA program, please contact Philip Severe at (408) 741-2493 or philip.severeFREEWEST_VALLEY or Lenore Harris at (408)741-2586, lenore.harrisFREEWEST_VALLEY
The UMOJA Program:
- Offers linked English 905 and 1A courses, Counseling 5 and 12C.
- Encourages enrollment in History 12, English 12 and Counseling 50.
- Provides students with college, peer and community mentors.
- Connects students with support services on campus and with transfer institutions.
- Provides cultural events, social outings and visits to transfer institutions.
After participation in courses and activities in the UMOJA Program, a student will be able to:
- Develop a Student Educational Plan with the goal of an associate degree, certificate and/or to transfer to a four year college or university