NextUp at West Valley College
NextUp is a new program at West Valley College that provides extra services for foster and former foster youth who were in care at lease one day after turning 13, and who are now younger than 26. NextUp offers services that will help you stay in school so you can realize your educational goal.
What is NextUp?
NextUp provides community college students like you with resources that make a difference. Eligible current and former foster youth receive help with books and supplies, transportation, tutoring, food and emergency housing.
Sometimes the hardest part about getting your college education is steering your way around all the bumps in the road. Most students will face challenges throughout this journey. That’s where NextUp comes in.
Benefits that Work
- Academic/career/personal counseling.
- Priority registration for all semesters.
- Assistance with completing the FAFSA (financial aid), CHAFEE grant and scholarships.
- Transportation assistance.
- School supplies.
- Direct financial grants.
- Referals to receive food assistance assistance (campus food pantry, grocery store cards, fon-campus meal cards).
Find Out Your Eligibility
- Be a California resident.
- Current of former foster youth whose dependency or wardship was established or continued by the court on or after the youth's 13th birthday.
- Under the age of 26 at the beginning of the academic year.
- Enrolled in at least nine (9) units (Exemptions can be made with director’s approval).