Congratulations, Latinx and African American high school graduates! West Valley College invites you to register in the FREE Summer Bridge Program, get a head start transitioning into college, earn 3 units of English, and earn a $1,200 scholarship for successfully completing the program.
The Summer Bridge Program provides under-served, high potential Latinx and African American Basic Skills students with dedicated academic and campus resource support while they take a compressed 4-week English 903 class. Upon successful completion, students transition into First Year Experience, Puente, or Umoja/SUCCESS in the fall.
Interested African American or Latinx high school students graduating in 2018 should consider enrolling for the Summer Bridge Program.
In order to be eligible, students must:
- Graduate from high school in May or June of the current year
- Place into English 903
- Commit to attending class from July 9 – August 9
- Meet with Joe Bucher or Philip Severe in the Counseling Services
Benefits of Program
The program will provide students with:
- Culturally–rich curriculum taught by dynamic and experienced faculty: Rebecca Cisneros–Diaz or Lenore Harris
- Accelerated format to earn 3 units of English 903 (in 4 weeks instead of 16 week semester)
- Registration fees, books, and materials
- A community of equally motivated peers
- Strategies for an effective transition into college
- Introduction to college support services
- Opportunity to network and be mentored by qualified faculty, staff, and students
- Eligibility for transfer and support programs: FYE, Puente, or Umoja/SUCCESS
- Daily lunch
- Bus pass and/or parking permit