Catalog 2023-2024

Download or Print Page


West Valley College is committed to creating partnerships with college and universities to ensure a smooth transfer experience. Many of our partners fall into three categories: California State Universities, Universities of California, and Private/Out of State Universities. Students are strongly encouraged to visit the Transfer and Counseling Center their first year so they can become familiar with resources available. It is important to plan carefully by selecting classes that satisfy both the lower division general education and major requirements. We recommend that students work with a counselor regularly to get stepby-step updated transfer information and guidance. Website:

Transfer Credit

Many students who plan to earn a university degree find it to their advantage to complete their lower division course work at a California community college. Each college offers a full program of courses approved for transfer. A student may earn 105 quarter or 70 semester units toward a university degree at an accredited two-year college. If a student earns more units than that, the university may give subject credit for the additional courses taken. Some campuses have further restrictions regarding the acceptance of transfer credit. Information regarding transfer programs is available in the Transfer Center, which is located in the Counseling Center, and from the catalog of the intended transfer institution. Consult a counselor for prerequisites and recommended subjects.

General Education Certification for Transfer Students

Careful educational planning will enable students to complete their general education requirements for transfer. “Certification” or “Partial Certification” may be requested on a Transcript Request Form available in the Admissions and Records Office

Articulation Agreements

Articulation agreements detail an agreement between schools. These details include course equivalencies, major preparation, and transfer pathways. Student seeking information on course/major articulation agreements between West Valley College and either the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) systems can find these details at Articulation agreements to private or out-of-state universities are typically found on the university’s website. A list of current partners where agreements are established can be found on the West Valley College articulation website

Last Updated 7/19/23