The Associated Students of West Valley College (ASWVC) is a student-run organization comprised of student leaders who are dedicated to making West Valley a better place. The ASWVC is comprised of five Executive Board members and a number of Senators who represent the Student Body.
Office: Campus Center 112
The Associated Students of West Valley College strive to protect and advocate for the student body’s best interests as well as better their educational experience as a whole.
Perks of Joining
- Transcript notation - recognition for your service and commitment to the West Valley College student body
- Priority registration
- Firsthand knowledge of upcoming campus events and activities, as well as changes
- Opportunities to establish connections with the faculty, staff, and administrators of West Valley
- Meet other students with similar goals, majors, mindset, etc.
First, Third, and Fifth Tuesday of each month at 3:45 PM.Join Meeting via Zoom
The Campus Activities Board (CAB) consists of four student workers who serve as the activities coordinator for West Valley College. They put on events such as West Fest, Spring Fling, and Club Fair. CAB is fully funded by ASWVC.
West Valley College Clubs represent the diversity of the student body. Each club functions independently, doing activities, fundraisers, and projects. All clubs that wish to be considered active must send a representative to attend at least two Senate Meetings and make a report.
Executive Board Contact Information
|Angel Gaytan||Vice President of Marketing & Records||aswvc.vpmarketingFREEWEST_VALLEY|
|David Pan||Vice President of Legislation||aswvc.vplegislationFREEWEST_VALLEY|
|William Smithers||Vice President of Budget & Financefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nicholas Hsieh||Student Trustee||aswvc.studenttrusteeFREEWEST_VALLEY|
Executive Board Office Hours – Fall 2021
|Sanketh Santhosh||10:30 AM – 12:30 PM||2:00 PM – 3:00 PM||10:30 AM – 12:30 PM||By appointment||OFF|
|Angel Gaytan||9:00 AM – 10:30 AM||1:10 PM – 2:10 PM||9:00 AM – 10:30 AM||1:10 PM – 2:10 PM||OFF|
|David Pan||11:00 AM – 1:00 PM||2:15 PM – 3:30 PM||11:00 AM – 1:00 PM||By Appointment||OFF|
|William Smithers||By Appointment||9:45 AM – 12:00 PM||By Appointment||9:45 AM – 12:00 PM||OFF|
|Nicholas Hsieh||By Appointment||10:45 AM – 1:30 PM||By Appointment||10:45 AM – 1:00 PM||By Appointment|
* If you would like to schedule a meeting outside of these hours, please contact an Executive Board member.
Constitution of the Associated Students of West Valley College
We the students of West Valley College, in order to form an efficient, representative student government, to encourage greater student participation in the governance of West Valley College and the West Valley-Mission Community College District, to promote and direct those student activities which stimulate the intellectual, physical, and social life of our college, and to improve relations within the college community; do hereby establish this constitution and assume the powers and duties of self-government pursuant to policies of the Board of Trustees of the West Valley-Mission Community College District as authorized in Section 7606D of the California Educational Code.
Article I: Name
Section 1: The name of this organization shall be the Associated Students at West Valley College (ASWVC).
Article II: Conduct
Section 1: This organization and/or its members, while functioning as representatives of the ASWVC and/or the College shall be committed to a policy of non-discrimination, specifically, the ASWVC shall be not for profit, non-partisan, and the ASWVC shall be in compliance with West Valley-Mission Community College District Board policies regarding equal opportunity at all times.
Article III: Bylaws
Section 1: The bylaws of this constitution shall be the lawful means whereby the purposes and principles of this Constitution shall be implemented.
Article IV: Rules of Order
Except as explicitly provided to the contrary in this constitution and its bylaws, the most current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern the procedures of the ASWVC.
Article V: Membership
All registered students of West Valley College, whom have paid the Student Representation Fee or have had the aforementioned fee waived, shall be members of this association and shall be entitled to all the privileges and rights thereof.
Article VI: Organization
Section 1: The ASWVC will be comprised of an Executive Board and a Student Senate.
Section 2: The ASWVC Executive Board shall consist of a President, three (3) Vice Presidents, and a Student Trustee.
Section 3: The requirements to hold office within the ASWVC shall be enumerated in the bylaws of this constitution.
Section 4: All ASWVC Executive Board members and Student Senate members must be elected into office, as outlined within the bylaws of this constitution.
Article VII: Constitutional Amendments
Section 1: This Constitution may be amended by referendum from the Student Senate in a special Election submitted to the students, provided that:
- Clause 1: Constitutional amendments shall be publicly posted, as outlined in the bylaws of this constitution for at least fourteen (14) consecutive calendar days immediately prior to the election.
- Clause 2: Adoption of amendments to this Constitution shall require two-thirds (2/3) favorable vote of those legal ballots cast in an election of the ASWVC.
- Clause 3: Total votes cast in the aforementioned election must be equal to or greater than three percent (3%) of the current total student population.
- Clause 4: Adoption of amendments to this constitution shall be effective immediately upon certification of the election results by the ASWVC Advisor
Constitutional Amendment Log
|January 1984||Adoption of Constitution|
|August 1993||“treasure” typo corrected|
|December 1994||Name Change, ASBWVC to ASWVC|
|December 1994||Article VI, Section 1, Clause 1, 10% changed to 5% 12/94 Rules of Order change Sturgis to Roberts|
|September 2007||Constitution Retyped|
|April 2016||Name Changed from Associated Student Organization to Associate Student of West Valley College (ASWVC), Positions within ASWVC redefined, and Constitution Retyped|
Bylaws of the Associated Students of West Valley College
Article I: Legal Statutes
Section 1: All senate business shall be conducted in accordance with Brown Act. This includes, but is not limited to: all meetings, all notices, all agendas and the rights of the public.
Article II: Membership
Section 1: Members of the Associated Students of West Valley College (ASWVC) are outlined in Article V Section I of the ASWVC Constitution.
Section 2: Non-voting (Ex Officio) members of the ASWVC shall include but not be limited to the Director of Student Development/ASWVC Advisor, the ASWVC Fiscal Assistant, and ASWVC Student Trustee.
Article III: Executive Board
Section 1: The Executive Board consists of the ASWVC President, Vice President of Legislation, Vice President of Finance, Vice President of Marketing and Records, and the Student Trustee.
Section 2: The Executive Board’s term of office shall end on the last day of the Spring Semester. The newly elected Executive Board shall assume office on the following academic day of Summer Session.
Article IV: Meetings
Section 1: For guidelines on parliamentary procedures, ASWVC will use Robert's Rules of Order in all meetings, except in the cases where these bylaws or other special rules conflict.
Section 2: These rules may be suspended by article and section by a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the voting members present.
Section 3: Suspension of rules shall apply only to the meeting during which the vote was taken.
Section 4: The regular ASWVC Senate meetings will be held the first, third, and fifth weeks of the month and as written in the agenda of the previous meeting, commencing the first week of the semester and ending the week prior to finals.
Section 5: All regular meetings of the ASWVC shall be held at 3:45 p.m. on Tuesdays throughout the academic year.
- Clause 1: This time can be changed with two-thirds (2/3) favorable vote of the ASWVC, provided there are no conflicts with the College’s schedule.
- Clause 2: Any regular meeting still in session after two (2)hours of the day on which it began shall immediately adjourn, unless the ASWVC extends the meeting (for a specified amount of time) by a two thirds (2/3) favorable vote of the members present and voting.
Section 6: Meeting Norms
- Clause 1: Each speaker shall be formally recognized by the acting Chairperson.
- Clause 2: Debate on each item being considered by the Senate shall be limited to fifteen (15) minutes unless otherwise specified by a motion that is passed by a majority vote.
- Clause 3: Debate shall be extended ten (10) minutes at a time.
- Clause 4: Meetings of the Senate shall be open to the general public. Meetings shall be closed to the public only when personnel matters are being considered.
- Clause 5: All legislation presented to the Senate shall be presented on the floor of the Senate, with the reading of the legislation to be followed by a motion and a second for the adoption of the legislation.
Section 7: Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Clause 1: Items to be placed on the agenda shall be submitted via the ASWVC Senate agenda request (on OrgSync) at least three (3) business days prior to the meeting.
- Clause 2: The Senate minutes will be posted within three (3) business days prior to the next ASWVC Senate meeting.
Section 8: Quorum must be established to take vote on any items, which is defined as 51% of active members with voting rights.
Section 9: Special or emergency meetings may be called by any ASWVC Executive Officer or by a majority of the currently voting Senators.
- Clause 1: A special or emergency meeting can only be called in accordance with the Brown Act and must follow all Brown Act requirements.
- Clause 2: If an Officer or Senator has class at the time of the special or emergency meeting, the student will be excused with no repercussion for attendance for regularly scheduled meetings.
- Clause 3: All special or emergency meetings must be presided in the same manner as regular meetings.
Article V: Voting Rights
Section 1: Voting privileges are limited to ASWVC Senators.
Section 2: The ASWVC Vice President of Finance and the Vice President of Marketing and Records shall have voting rights.
Section 3: The ASWVC Vice President of Legislation can vote only in the event of a tie on ballot votes.
Section 4: The ASWVC President has the power of veto, but has no vote in the Senate.
Section 5: The Student Trustee will have no vote in the ASWVC Senate.
Article VI: Requirements for Executive Board Officers
Section 1: Grade Point Average (GPA) Requirements
- Clause 1: All Executive Board members must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA and maintain a 2.0 GPA during their time in Office.
- Clause 2: New students to West Valley College, without completed units will have the GPA requirement waived until their first completed semester.
- Clause 3: All officers must be enrolled in five (5) or more units at the time of their election and during their time in office or they will be automatically removed at the next regular ASWVC meeting.
Article VII: ASWVC Executive Board Officers
Section : Conditions of Office
- Clause 1: No student may hold more than one ASWVC position, unless circumstances deem it “urgent and necessary”, with two-thirds (2/3) favorable vote of the officers present and voting.
- Clause 2: A student may not be elected or appointed to the same Executive Board position for more than two (2) consecutive years.
- Clause 3: A student may not serve on the Executive Board for more than three (3) years within a 5 year period.
- Clause 4: For purposes of determining eligibility to continue in office, an officer who has served more than half a term is considered to have served a full term.
Section 2: Absences and Tardiness
- Clause 1: For an excused absence, the Officer must give 24 hour notice of being absent or be absent for a medical reason.
- Clause 2: In the event that the Officer has had three (3) unexcused absences, that officer shall be automatically removed from the office without a vote of the ASWVC.
- Two (2) instances of tardiness shall equal (1) unexcused absence. For the purpose of calculating absences, tardiness is defined as arriving after the approval of the agenda.
- Two (2) excused absences shall equal (1) unexcused absence.
- Clause 3: Paid Office Hours
- All ASWVC officers shall post and hold a minimum of five (5) to a maximum of ten (10) office hours per week in the ASWVC Office.
- Three (3) instances of an officer failing to hold office hours, as posted, shall equal one (1) absence, unless excused by President or Presiding Officer (if President is not available).
Article VIII: Executive Board Election Process
Section 1: The Candidate Selection Committee shall be composed of the President, or designee if the current President is running for a position, and two Senate members who are not running for elected office.
Section 2: Prospective candidates must submit an application for consideration by the Candidate Selection Committee by the specified deadline.
- Clause 1: Notification of Executive Officer position openings is to be provided to all students and shall contain the following: 1) position title, 2) description of job, 3) term of office, 4) deadline for the application, 5) phone number, 6) address or building number for further information, and 7) requirements for position.
- Clause 2: In the event that there are no applications submitted, the ASWVC Executive Board may extend the application deadline for that position.
- Clause 3: A student may apply for only one position during an election process.
Section 3: Committee members shall consider all applications as private and confidential information, during the formal screening process. Discussion of the candidate's personal qualifications/information shall remain confidential between the committee and the said candidate.
Section 4: The committee shall submit the names of no more than three candidates for consideration on the Election ballot.
Section 5: The ASWVC Advisor will retain all applications for one academic year, after which they may be destroyed.
Section 6: Elections will occur during spring semester for the following year.
Section 7: Elections will be conducted among all currently enrolled West Valley Students.
Section 8: Elections may be conducted via electronic software.
Article IX: Vacancies
Section 1:If a position is vacated for any reason, the ASWVC Senate shall fill the position by a majority vote.
- Clause 1: The line of succession in the event of an absence in the office of the President shall be Vice President of Legislation, Vice President of Finance, Vice President of Marketing and Records, Student Trustee.
- Clause 2: All vacancies shall be posted for a minimum of one week, in the same manner as the ASWVC meeting agendas.
Section 2: Interested students must fill out an application for the open position.
- Clause 1: Before being appointed all individuals must be interviewed by the Executive Board at an Executive Board meeting.
- Clause 2: The Executive Board will then forward on two candidates for consideration by the ASWVC Senate.
- Clause 3: The successor to any position vacated will be appointed by a majority of the Senate.
- Clause 4: Any position filled by the Senate shall be for the remaining period of office in said term.
Article X: Vote of No Confidence
Section 1: Grounds for removal of office of a senator or executive officer shall be limited to malfeasance, misfeasance, or nonfeasance.
Section 2: A senator or executive officer may also be removed by the College Conduct Officer if the student has been found in violation of the Student Code of Conduct and if the Conduct Officer sanctions a social probation for the student.
Section 3: Removal of Senators and Executive Officers
- Clause 1: Any member of the Senate with active voting rights has the right to request a vote of no confidence.
- Clause 2: A vote of no confidence applies to Senators and Executive Officers.
- Clause 3: The request for a vote of no confidence must be lodged in an open, regularly scheduled meeting of the Senate.
- Clause 4: The vote of no confidence shall be taken at the next scheduled meeting after the initial request.
- Clause 5: A two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Senate members present and voting, shall be necessary to qualify as a "vote of no confidence."
- Clause 6: A vote of no confidence shall result in a removal of office and the loss of voting rights.
- Clause 7: A vote of no confidence is not subject to a presidential veto.
- Clause 8: Any person who receives a vote of no confidence has the right to appeal to the Director of Student Development or designee, within five (5) business days.
Article XI: Committees
Section 1: The President shall have the ability to appoint individuals to any Ad Hoc committees.
Section 2: The By-Laws Committee
- Clause 1: Shall be composed of the Vice President of Legislation, one other Executive 9 Officer, and at least three additional Senate members.
Section 3: The Budget and Finance Committee shall be composed of Vice President of Finance, one other Executive Officer and at least three additional Senate members.
- Clause 1: The Chair is to be the Vice President of Finance or a delegate appointed by the President of the ASWVC, if necessary, as determined by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the executive board.
Section 4: The Outreach Committee is to be a standing internal committee of the ASWVC and be composed of Senators and open to members of the public.
- Clause 1: The Chair is to be appointed by the President of the ASWVC.
Section 5: In the event of a dispute interpretation of the Constitution of the ASWVC or By-Laws, a Judicial Committee shall be formed to resolve the discrepancy.
- Clause 1: The Judicial Committee shall consist the Vice President of Legislation (as an Ex Officio member), two Senators, and five (5) students who are not members of the Executive Committee or the Senate.
- Clause 2: Appointments shall be reviewed by the Senate.
Article XII: Senator Requirements
Section 1: Any student who is currently registered for credit at West Valley College, who has passed the Parliamentary Procedure test, and has attended and signed in as a guest on the Senate Meeting Guest Sign-In Sheet for three (3) consecutive Senate Meetings will be granted voting rights at the beginning of the student’s fourth Senate meeting.
Section 2: Any Senator who misses two (2) consecutive regularly scheduled Senate meetings of ASWVC will have all rights and privileges including voting automatically suspended. All rights and privileges will be reinstated at the beginning of the student’s second consecutive regularly scheduled Senate meeting.
- Clause 1: Attendance is defined as being present for at least 75% of the meeting or 1.25 hours, whichever is shorter.
- Clause 2: Two (2) instances of tardiness shall equal (1) unexcused absence. For the purpose of calculating absences, tardiness is defined as arriving fifteen (15) minutes after the predetermined meeting time.
- Clause 3: A meeting with a majority of ASWVC Executive Officers is required for two (2) or more consecutive unexcused absences.
- Clause 4: Two (2) or more consecutive unexcused absences may be considered as nonfeasance.
Section 3: Shall serve on at least one (1) committee from either the inner committee, external committee, or ad-hoc committees, at all times during the academic year, as they become available.
- Clause 1: Senators shall serve on various committees as appointed by the ASWVC President.
- Clause 2: Senators shall be an active member of their committee.
- Clause 3: Senators deemed inactive in a committee by the majority of the Executive Board may have privileges and voting rights suspended or be removed from the Senate.
Section 4: Senators shall be an active member at ASWVC regular meetings for the duration of the semester.
- Clause 1: To qualify as an active Senator at the end of a semester, a Senator must attend at least 51% of ASWVC regular meetings.
Section 5: Senators have the right to request an excused leave of absence for up to one semester without penalty. Senators will need to request the leave of absence before the first Senate meeting of the semester in question with details of the conflict and submit it in writing to the ASWVC Executive Board. Requests must be reviewed by the ASWVC Executive Board before becoming active.
- Clause 1: An excused leave of absence is allowed for up to 1 semester.
- Clause 2: Any Senate meetings missed before the request for a leave of absence will be counted against the Senator’s attendance record.
- Clause 3: Senators who miss 2 consecutive semesters will be required to repeat the steps laid out in Section 1 to be re-granted voting rights.
Article XIII: Student Organization
Section 1: A student organization is any organization that organizes around a stated, legal and authorized purpose.
Section 2: Proposed student organizations must register with the Office of Student Development This process is repeated each year.
Section 3: Student organization shall be eligible for start up funds and funding requests, as outlined by the ASWVC Financial Code.
Section 4: All student organizations must have a representative at all Senate meetings and shall make a detailed report to the Senate twice each semester.
Section 5: A club representative shall attend regular Senate meetings to make a report of activities. Failure to attend two (2) Regular Senate meetings per semester will result in all funds of said club to be automatically frozen until the president of the club meets with the Director of Student Development, or designee.
Section 6: The Office of Student Development may sanction a student organization, whereby funds and activities may be frozen, and can only be reinstated upon meeting with the Director of Student Development, or designee.
Section 7: If it becomes apparent that any sanctioned student organization is failing to fulfill its stated objectives or obligations, a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Senate present and voting may revoke the funding.
Article XIV: Executive Board Responsibilities
Section 1: Duties and Responsibilities by Office.
- Clause 1: President’s Responsibilities
- Act as the Chief Executive Officer and official spokesperson of the ASWVC.
- Chairperson for all ASWVC regular meetings.
- Serve as the Chairperson of the Executive Board.
- Have the power to veto legislative actions of the ASWVC.
- Must exercise the option of veto within seven (7) days of the action by ASWVC.
- Veto must be put on display as a public notice in the same manner as senate meeting agendas for at least one week.
- Veto may be overridden by a two thirds (2/3) favorable vote of the voting membership of the ASWVC at a regular scheduled meeting within the next two (2) regular meetings, following the posting and transmission of veto.
- Appoint temporary replacements for any vacancies, until a permanent replacement can be appointed.
- Form and dissolve committees, organizations and associations for specific purposes to conform to the bylaws contained herein.
- Have authority to appoint Senators to help with programs, events or any other ASWVC business.
- Serve as an Ex Officio member on all ASWVC internal Committees.
- Represent the ASWVC at the West Valley-Mission Community College District Board of Trustees meetings, or designate a representative from the ASWVC.
- Serve as the ASWVC representative to College Council or designate a representative.
- Clause 2: Vice President of Legislation Responsibilities
- Perform the duties of the President in the event of their absence, disability, or removal from the office.
- Serve as the official parliamentarian.
- Enforce all rules, regulations, and procedures passed by the ASWVC and/or stated in the ASWVC Constitution and bylaws.
- Shall maintain a record of all Senators with active voting rights.
- Have the authority to delegate duties and responsibilities to all Senate Officers.
- Act as liaison between local, state and federal government and the ASWVC.
- Inform the ASWVC of all government legislation, which pertains to WVC.
- Shall attend, represent, and vote for ASWVC at all SSCCC Region IV meetings.
- Give monthly reports of SSCCC of the California Community College meetings and business.
- Clause 3: Vice President of Finance Responsibilities
- Serve as Chairperson of the Budget and Finance Committee.
- Perform all duties outlined in the Financial Code.
- Serve on the Executive Board of the ASWVC.
- Maintain the account for all ASWVC money on a day to day basis.
- Submit a comprehensive monthly report of income, expenses, and state of reserves and progress of the budget of the ASWVC.
- Give a report every regular meeting to the ASWVC of ASWVC financial status.
- Clause 4: Vice President of Marketing and Records Responsibilities
- Maintain all ASWVC records including agendas, minutes, committee records, an authenticated copy of the ASWVC Constitution, Bylaws, Codes, and all standing rules and orders of the ASWVC and ensure that said documents are available for reference and public inspection at all times.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Board of the ASWVC.
- Perform the recording, written or by device, of the minutes of all ASWVC meetings. In the event of their absence, the presiding officer shall appoint of a member of the ASWVC to perform the minute taking functions of for the duration of that meeting.
- Be responsible for ensuring that the minutes of the previous meeting of the ASWVC are submitted to the President or designee at least seventy two (72) hours prior to the next scheduled meeting.
- Facilitate communication between students, and the ASWVC (Administration, and Faculty and WVC Community Development Office).
- Keep Students up to date on all issues affecting the Campus community.
- Work with the Campus Activities Board Liaison to publicize ASWVC 13 sponsored activities.
- Produce a current monthly calendar of events and post the aforementioned calendar in a way that is easily and readily accessible to ASWVC student officers and West Valley students.
- Provide weekly updates on events and legislation to the Student body via ASWVC social media accounts.
- Clause 5: Student Trustee Responsibilities
- Inform the ASWVC of all West Valley-Mission Community College District Board of Trustees actions.
- Serve on the Executive Board of the ASWVC.
- Attend all West Valley-Mission Community College District Board of Trustees meetings.
- Announce all West Valley-Mission Community College District Board of Trustees agenda items to the ASWVC.
- Be an Ex Officio member on all ASWVC Boards and committees.
- Be responsible and accountable to the students of the district and their elected officers.
- Make themselves informed about those issues that have a direct or significant impact on students of the district and such issues that are brought to the attention of the Student Trustee by any concerned students.
- Gather student input and disseminate information by meeting at least once per month, school calendar permitting, at a scheduled meeting of the student government organization at their respective College and in other ways as appropriate.
- Be subject to recall in the manner prescribed by the procedures established by the Board of Trustees.
- Their external committee shall be the Board of Trustees meetings.
- Clause 6: Senator Responsibilities
- Represent the student body by being a voice of the students to the ASWVC.
- Carry out all duties and responsibilities as delegated to them through formal action of committees and/or by direction of the Executive Board.
- Vote on all matters brought up in ASWVC Meetings, with the intent to foster positive change for all WVC students.
Article XV: Article of Changes
Section 1: These bylaws shall be enacted, rescinded or amended by a two thirds (2/3) vote of the active ASWVC members with voting rights.
Section 2: Such proposals shall be submitted as an agenda request to the ASWVC Executive Board, at least 24 hours prior to the Agenda posting requirements for the meeting at which they will be voted upon.
Section 3: These bylaws may also be enacted, rescinded, or amended by signed petition of ten percent (10%) of the members of the Student Body.
Section 4: Adoption of the changes to the bylaws shall become effective immediately following the two-thirds (2/3) favorable vote of the ASWVC or upon certification of the required signatures on the aforementioned petition.
Section 5: The Director of Student Development/ASWVC Advisor, along with the Vice President of Legislature, shall bear the responsibility of certifying the validity of the aforementioned petition.
The Associated Students of West Valley College shall exercise their right to create an internal committee wherever they see fit. Standing committees will include the Budget and Finance Committee and the Outreach Committee.
Budget and Finance
The Budget and Finance Committee approves all budget requests before they go to the Senate. The Vice President of Finance is the chair of this committee, and a parliamentarian will be appointed.
The Outreach Committee supports the ASWVC and CAB with events on campus. They assist in advertisement, planning, and executing events and activities with the purpose of increasing student involvement on campus. The Vice President of Marketing and Records will be the chair of this committee unless otherwise stated.
Student Committee for a Regenerative Campus
This committee was created Fall 2019 with the purpose of increasing sustainability on campus. A major goal of this committee is to work with WVC faculty and staff to create a student-run garden on campus.