The WVC 2021-2022 Scholarship Application is now closed. If you applied, please ensure to check your MyWVM student email account regularly for correspondence. Scholarship award notifications will be emailed in late April.
For questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at wvfaFREEWEST_VALLEY
To be eligible for a WVC scholarship, you must:
- Declare a major at WVC.
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00.
- Have completed 12 college semester units prior to Fall 2021 and at least 6 of these units must be from West Valley College.
- Be currently working toward your first degree. High school students and students with a Bachelor's degree are NOT eligible.
- Have submitted all scholarship application requirements by the stated deadline.
- Have a valid 2021-2022 FAFSA or CA Dream Act application on file with West Valley College if you want to be considered for a financial need-based scholarship.
Scholarships may have additional eligibility criteria, including, but not limited to, declared major, minimum enrollment requirements, and transfer requirements. These criteria will be provided to recipients at the time of the award.
Because awards are selected based on information provided in each application, it is possible for designated scholarship recipients to become ineligible to receive their award if changes occur in their educational plans and/or financial situation, different from the information the Financial Aid Office had at the time of the application.
A committee made up of faculty members, classified staff, and private donors will select the recipients based on, but not limited to, the following criteria:
- Quality of essay and letter of recommendation.
- Level of criteria match for specific scholarships offered.
- For financial need-based scholarships, the committee will use information from the student’s 2021-2022 FAFSA or CA Dream Act application.
Awards will be paid to the recipients during the 2021-2022 academic year. Some awards will be paid in one disbursement during the Fall 2021 semester, while others will be divided into two disbursements: one during the Fall 2021 semester and the other during the Spring 2022 semester.
For students continuing at West Valley College, scholarship disbursements will be requested the week prior to the beginning of the semester, provided the student meet all requirements and funds are available for disbursement.
For students transferring to another institution, a scholarship check will be mailed directly to that institution. It is your responsibility to inform the West Valley College Financial Aid Office of any school or enrollment changes since it may affect your scholarship eligibility and disbursement method.
Steps to Apply
One-page essay in response to the prompt below. Please include your full name and student ID number.
Essay prompt: Each student has a unique background, identity, interest, or talent that is genuinely meaningful to who they are. Write an honest, personal statement that depicts who you are and what you believe in. Please share your story. When writing your essay, you may consider including the following:
- Educational and career goals
- Involvement in extracurricular activities (e.g. employment, leadership roles, community service, etc.)
- Family responsibilities
- Financial hardships and obstacles
- Any additional information you feel will assist the scholarship committee in their selection
Unofficial academic transcripts for all colleges you have attended since high school (other than West Valley College and/or Mission College).
Provide your recommender's name, email address, and their relationship to you.
One Recommendation Letter from your current or former college instructor, college counselor, employer, member of the community, or a professional.
- Please ask an individual who knows you well to write your recommendation letter. Family members, friends, and Financial Aid staff cannot be accepted as a reference due to a conflict of interest.
- Give your recommender as much time as possible (2-3 weeks is suggested) to write an effective letter.
- We recommend you follow up with your recommender to confirm the recommendation letter is submitted by the deadline.
- Only one recommendation letter will be accepted per student application. Additional letters that are received after the first one will be discarded.