Health Science Department Courses
- HSCI 03 CPR / AED Basic Life Support
- HSCI 05 Responding to Emergencies / CPR First Aid
- HSCI 08 Contemporary Health
- HSCI 10 Human Sexuality
- HSCI 12 Understanding Stress - A Multidisciplinary Perspective
- HSCI 14 Concepts of Public Health and Society
- Academic Senate - HHD Division Senator
- SLAPEC - Student Learning and Program Effectiveness Committee - HHD Division Rep
- West Valley College Curriculum Committee
- Academic Directions Committee
- Information Competency Committee
Previous Positions Held / Additional Experience
- Director Health Programs (Operation Stroke) - American Heart Association
- Health Program Developer - Caresoft Inc./ The Daily Apple (Health Website)
- Clinical Health Educator - Kaiser Permanente
- Instructor - Stanford Patient Education Chronic Disease Self-Help Programs
- Health Instructor - Northern California National Kidney Foundation
- Board of Directors - Northern California Society of Public Health Education
- Licensed Physical Therapist - Various locations in San Diego County and Santa Clara County - Completed CSUN Physical Therapy program - Class 34.
My work as a Physical Therapist at medical clinics in southern San Diego County, near the U.S. Mexico border at Tijuana, is what first exposed me to the field of Public Health. I observed public health community workers running needle exchange programs to reduce HIV transmission. My interest in public health began as I leaned about risk reduction, health promotion, disease/injury prevention, and behavioral / biological / environmental factors that affect health outcomes. My interests grew in the areas of tracking health trends / data collection and interpretation, as well as general public health practices to reduce risks to populations. This resulted in a career transition as I went back to school and earned a Masters in Public Health and began a new career as a public health professional working in clinical settings as well as community organizations. This eventually transitioned into me taking a full-time faculty position at West Valley Community College.
My Interests Outside of Teaching
I enjoy backpacking in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, hiking locally, and most important - spending time outdoors with family and friends.