Catalog 2023-2024

Download or Print Page

Financial Aid


Location: Student Services Center (SSC)
Phone: (408) 741-2024
Regular Hours: Please visit West Valley College website for current
hours of service.

Financial Aid manages programs designed to help students pay for educational and living expenses while they are in school. When students apply for financial aid, we evaluate their circumstances and identify all the financial help available to them through federal, state, and other programs. Most students do not realize they may qualify for one or more of the financial aid programs currently available.

Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the CA Dream Act. We will automatically review your eligibility for all Financial Aid programs based on your application data.


California College Promise Grant

CCPG waives 100% enrollment fees and a portion of the parking fee.

Eligibility Criteria:

  • You must be a California resident or an AB 540 student as determined by the office of Admissions and Records
  • You meet specific income levels, or
  • You have demonstrated financial need, of at least $1104, through the FAFSA/CA Dream Act application process, or
  • You currently receive benefits from TANF/CalWorks, or SSI/SSP or General Assistance, or
  • You are eligible for a dependent veterans fee waiver or approved by the National Guard Adjutant General that you are a dependent, or
  • You are eligible as a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, or you are eligible as a dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack, or you are eligible as a dependent of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty.
  • You are eligible as a dependent/ spouse/ Registered Domestic Partner of a deceased physician, nurse, or first responder who died of COVID-19 during the COVID-19 pandemic state of emergency in California.

California College Promise Grant Fee Waiver (CCPG) New State Regulations

Under new state regulations, students will LOSE eligibility for the CCPG if: They are on probation for not maintaining a 2.0 GPA (grade point average) for two consecutive primary terms. They have not successfully completed half (50%) or more of the units attempted in two (2) consecutive primary terms. Only Foster Youth are exempt from this policy. Primary terms are FALL and SPRING terms at semester-based schools. Students that are determined ineligible are also able to regain eligibility or be reinstated by meeting one (1) of the standards below:

  • Improve GPA and/or course completion measures to meet the academic and progress standards.
  • Successful appeal regarding extenuating circumstances and/or demonstrating significant academic improvement.
  • Not attending his/her community college district for two (2) consecutive primary terms.
  • Extenuating circumstances are defined as verified cases of accidents, illnesses, or other circumstances beyond the student’s control.

For more information, visit:
To download an appeal, visit:


Eligibility Criteria:

  • 2.0 GPA Minimum
  • Declare a major that is at least one year in length.
  • Community Grant pays up to $3,000/year for incoming freshmen. Amounts may vary upon funding.
  • California College Promise pays up to $2,000/year for First and Second Year Free. Amounts may vary upon funding.
  • Cal Grant B pays up to $1,672/year for AA/AS degree or AA-T/AS-T programs
  • Cal Grant C pays up to $1,094/year for vocational students not transferring to a 4 year college.
  • Cal Grant funding is limited to four (4) academic years. In order to graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree from a 4-year institution within the 4-year limit, you must complete 15 units or more per semester or the equivalent quarter units.
  • Cal Grant recipients with dependents will be considered for additional funding.
  • Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG): Cal Grant B or Cal Grant C recipients who are enrolled in 12-14.5 units at a California Community College and have remaining unmet need. The SSCG award is $1,298 per year ($649 per semester). Recipients who are enrolled in 15+ units and have remaining unmet need may be eligible for $4,000 per year ($2,000 per semester). The Financial Aid office may award additional students who take sufficient number of units during the summer semester. For more information:
  • Pell Grant pays up to $6,895/year
  • Chafee Grant pays up to $5,000/year (former foster youth only)
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) pays up to $600/year

Federal Work Study

Eligibility Criteria:

  • Same eligibility requirements as with grants.
  • Must have remaining unmet financial need after fee waiver and grants are considered
  • Must enroll in at least 6 units
  • Part time employment
  • Work on or off campus
  • Pays $14-18/hour ($4,500/year max.)

Federal Direct Student Loans

Loan amount based on financial need after above programs are considered. Financial need is the difference between the cost of education and the resources available to you. Students must have a completed financial aid file before requesting a Loan Request Packet from the Financial Aid Office.


West Valley College scholarships are designed to recognize accomplishments and to provide tangible encouragement to students who have demonstrated academic achievement, leadership, community service, and financial need. Funds are donated from a joint investment of contributions from the private sector and from West Valley College employees. The application process starts in December. Awards are announced in late spring, and are awarded for the following school year.

Outside Scholarships: Many foundations, professional associations, religious and ethnic organizations, and corporations offer grants and scholarships. These awards are based on a wide variety of qualifications including, financial need, academic achievement, religious affiliation, ethnicity, and special interests.


Apply for financial aid with the following process.

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply online at: Make sure to list the West Valley College school code (001338) on your application to ensure that we receive a copy of your application data. Or current AB540 students may apply for the CA Dream Act Application at:
  2. An email will be sent from Financial Aid indicating how to submit additional documentation. A Financial Aid file is complete when all documents have been submitted and reviewed.
  3. A notification of official financial aid awards will be sent when your Financial Aid file is awarded.
  4. If you are interested in participating in Federal Work-Study, please contact Kristin Martin at: kristin.martinFREEWEST_VALLEY to apply.
  5. If you wish to apply for a student loan, please contact Kristin Martin at: kristin.martinFREEWEST_VALLEY for a Loan Request Packet.

Special circumstances: If you didn’t initially qualify for all the aid you need, be aware that some students have special circumstances that make them eligible, or increase their award. These may include:

  • Changes in dependency status or family size
  • Recent unemployment
  • Unusually high medical bills or child care costs
  • Other situations that may impact the family’s ability to pay

Contact the Financial Aid office at: wvfaFREEWEST_VALLEY to request a Professional Judgment packet.

Financial Aid Application Deadlines

• Applications should be renewed each year starting October 1 - June 30.

Return of Title IV Funds

A student may owe money back to the Department of Education if he/she received federal financial aid and then withdrew before completing 60% of the semester or completed zero units at the end of the term. The federal programs include: Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and the Federal Direct Loan Program. The College is required to determine the amount owed and to bill the student. The student has 45 days to respond. If the student fails to pay the debt, the College is required to notify the National Student Loan Data Service (NSLDS) and at that time, the student becomes ineligible for any further financial aid consideration, regardless of which school the student is attending, until the debt is paid in full.

Financial Aid Updates

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal regulations have added a new element to monitor academic progress for financial aid students: Pace Quantitative Standard Pace Quantitative Standard: Maintain a CUMULATIVE completion rate of 66.7% (2/3) of ALL attempted units and a CURRENT completion rate of 66.7% (2/3) at the end of every semester. “Completing” units is defined as receiving a grade of A, B, C, D or P. For additional information please visit

Course Repeatability

Students repeating courses will be allowed to continue to benefit from financial aid based on the course repeatability regulation. Financial Aid will allow one repetition after passing the course. Passing grades are: A, B, C, D, P. Courses from which a student withdraws are not considered repeated coursework. For more information see course repetitions section in this catalog.

Lifetime Pell Grant Limits

Applies to all students regardless of when they received their first Pell grant. Students are eligible to receive Pell grant for up to 12 full time semesters. A student attending as a half-time (6 units) student is considered as having used half of a semester for purposes of tracking the Pell grant limits.

Unusual Enrollment History (UEH)

Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) means the student attends an institution long enough to receive (Title IV) federal student aid funds, leaves without completing the enrollment period, enrolls at another institution, and repeats the pattern of attending just long enough to collect Title IV funds without having earned any academic credits.

If selected, Financial Aid will ask for transcripts for all institutions/universities attended in the last four years. Students will also need to provide their reason(s) for jumping from school to school and submit documentation to back up their situation.

Veteran’s Educational Benefits

New veterans should visit our website: or contact the Veteran’s Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office, located in the Student Services Center (SSC), at least six weeks prior to the first day of school. Processing paperwork early can help avoid delay in receipt of first payment. You must bring a copy of your DD214 or 2384 (NOBE) or Certificate of Eligibility for Ch. 33 (post 911) and any documentation relating to spouse and/ or dependents. Returning veterans should allow the same amount of time for their requests. Continuing veterans should check with the Veterans Office as soon as they register each semester.

Last Updated 7/19/23